March 06, 2007

Pasta Sauce Orgy

One thing I am really proud of is my spectacular pasta sauce...

When I was in culinary school, I used this sauce as a base for a chili contest entry, and it won! It's so good, and it takes FOREVER to do if you do it right. It's best if it's made over 2 days, so you can take the fats off your refrigerated roasted bones, and keep the fond to add back to the sauce.

I had two #10 cans of tomatoes: one of puree and one of chopped peeled. This was gonna be a Big Vat of sauce. I sweated two onions in my biggest rondeau, dumped in my roasted bones and meat, and added all the puree and as much of the chopped as would fit. I scraped the fat off the top of the refrigerated drippings, and added that. I deglazed the roasting pan with madiera, and poured that in. Finally, I added the spices and seasonings, covered it, and tried to keep myself out of the kitchen for fear of "tasting" too much of it by dunking in chunks of French bread. (One of the best treats in my childhood was getting a big spoonful of sauce on a slice of spongy sliced bread, and eating it with a fork!)

When I could no longer stand it, I turned it off, pulled out the bones and larger pieces of meat, and passed the whole thing through a food mill. Checking the seasonings, I hoped Kelly came home from work soon so I wouldn't have to wait too long for dinner.

I had a pot of water boiling for the linguini, which I dropped the minute he walked in. In about 15 minutes, we were at the table, submerging ourselves in this pasta. I joked, "I'm going to have sex with this pasta it's so good" and had to repeat myself once my mouth was emptier. We both dreged up the last bits of sauce with bread. I packaged what was left into 12 containers: the promise of 12 future orgies with a lot less fuss stored in the freezer.

I am still high, and probably will be for the rest of the evening.



Last thing I ate or drank: indulged in above orgy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but due to the great deal of spam I get in the comments, you need to register before you can post a comment. Apologies for the inconvenience.