August 18, 2005

Recipe request

Hi, everyone. I have a sort of a weirdo request. I need a recipe for Shoo-Fly Pie. I want to bring it as a gift to a client who deserves a pie. He mentioned in passing that he missed home cooking, and that was one of the things he included in his list of things you can't find around here in Los Angeles.

Not exactly what they teach you in culinary school, I'm afraid. My Chef-Instructor, a venerable god of a pastry chef, taught us how to do opera cake and napoleons and spectacular danish from pastry we made from scratch. But no shoo-fly pie. I know I could simply google a recipe, or try to find it on any of the plethora of recipe sites, but... well....

.....you know how you can look at a recipe and think, "uh, no. i think something's not quite right with that one..." well, I've never SEEN shoo-fly pie, I've never TASTED shoo-fly pie, and I certainly have never MADE a shoo-fly pie, so I have no frame of reference. All I know is that it's sweet as all get out, and made with sugar and corn syrup (and sometimes molasses? maybe?) It's been described to me as "pecan pie without the pecans", in other words, just the sweet sticky goo. (ack!)

Anyway, that's what he wants, so that's what I'd like to make for him. Do any of you readers have a "tried and true" recipe for Shoo-Fly Pie? I'm not asking for you to divulge your grandmother's handed-down recipe, but if you can tell me if the recipes I linked to seem good (they're pretty close!) I'd appreciate it very much. If you want to send me one by e-mail, I promise I won't post it or publish it or share it in any way besides making it for this one guy.

Last thing I ate or drank: a glass of viogner. overpoured, thank you very much!

Technorati Tags: in

2 comments:

  1. http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/piestarts/shooflypie.html

    This is the Pennsylvania Dutch (German) recipe I use down here in Augusta, GA. Heavy sweetness can be cut with unsugared whipped cream (great big ole' glob on top). I like a little thicker crumble on top as well so you might want to upsize that part about 1/3. Unsulphered molasses is the secret and yes, it's just plain gooey sweet. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you two! I can't figure out how to contact you directly, so forgive me for just posting here...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but due to the great deal of spam I get in the comments, you need to register before you can post a comment. Apologies for the inconvenience.