June 14, 2006

Funny Food Flashback

A long, long time ago, Paul Rodriguez did a standup comendy routine where he is talking about "white people" going to a mexican restaurant. Sara from The Delicious Life just reminded me of it, in describing her trip to La Talpa one of Pico's many mexican restaurants. That skit is easily one of my favorite comedy routines, and it goes something like this. (I may have either destroyed it or punched it up, I can't be sure because I can't find it online.)
Husband: (Long Island accent) Yes, waiter, I have a few questions about the menu here. What's in a taco?

Waiter: Beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, in a tortilla, sir.

Wife: Oh that sounds nice... What's in a (carefully sounding out) Burr-eeeee-toe?

Waiter: Beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, in a tortilla, ma'am.

Husband: Well, that won't do at all. Uh, what's in a (pause) jimmy, chimmy, cha cha?

Waiter: Yes, the chimichanga, sir? Beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, in a tortilla

Wife: I feel like having a salad. What's in a taco salad then?

Waiter: (becoming frustrated) Beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, in a tortilla bowl.

Husband: This is a rather large menu to choose from, and I am rather confused. How about a tostada?

Waiter: (condescending) Yes, sir, that's something very different. A tostada is made with beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, ON a tortilla!
It goes on for a while, but every time I make or eat mexican, I strive to make things a little different from each other.

Thanks, Sara, for reminding me of that routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but due to the great deal of spam I get in the comments, you need to register before you can post a comment. Apologies for the inconvenience.