December 15, 2005

Anguish:

n 1: extreme mental distress [syn: torment, torture] 2: extreme distress of body or mind v 1: suffer great pains or distress 2: cause emotional anguish or make miserable
Last night after 8pm, I got a call from tomorrow's client.

He's having a big formal seated dinner, 15 guests, 3 hot appetizers followed by 6 courses, with pairings of wines, as well. It's his executives-only holiday party, so kind of a big deal.

He has a lovely home, but the arrangement is such that he can't seat 15 people in the same room. We arranged to rent heaters, and have the seating outdoors. It's Los Angeles, right? (well, yes, but the night's still drop down into the low 50's)

Seems that the rental company, which was supposed to have arrived betwen 9am and 1pm, didn't, and actually showed up at 8pm. Without the full order. Especially of concern to my client was that there were no heaters. There was no tent. And there was no reason why.

I called the rental representative at the office, no answer
I called the rental representative on her business cellphone, no answer
I called the rental representative on her personal cellphone, no answer

I told Kelly what was up, and he said, "So, what are you going to do? You can't come up with heaters and tents between now and tomorrow afternoon? You'll make it work, somehow."

So I went to bed. With my clipboard on my lap.

When I woke up this morning, I checked everywhere for messages, and there were none. I called her cellphone again, no answer. I called the office at 9:30, got transferred to her, and let her have it: Why was I not contacted about the delays? Why was I not informed of the incomplete delivery? Why did I have to hear it from my client? Why did she not return my calls? Why bother to give me her personal cellphone if she wasn't going to answer it?

She 'reassured' me that everything had been handled with the client. what? I told her *I* am the client. She charged MY credit card. She had messages from ME. Turns out, the delivery guy told my client her phone number, and he had been calling her, too. (in his shoes, I'd have done the same, it would be my party, and I'd want to make sure that it all went smoothly)

But still, she never called me. I'm not sure she would have called me.

There is NO REASON my client should have to lift a finger for this party, even to use that finger to dial the phone. Hire me and I'll take care of it. That's my policy.

But when the people I rely on screw up, (oh, and don't get me started on the wine guy!) it reflects on me. I wouldn't be so mad if she'd just 'fessed up and told me "oops" because I could have smoothed things out with my client, given him a heads up.

Maybe not come off looking like I don't have MY act together, because the company I used doesn't have ITS act together.

So, we'll see how it goes. I may post their name here later, I have to see how I feel after tonight's event goes down.

Thank goodness I've got this blog for therapy!

Last thing I ate or drank: nothing yet, but the blood sugar's dropping quick!

Technorati Tags: in

1 comment:

  1. Supremely poor customer service on her part ... and at the cost of negative word-of-mouth. Ridiculous. Hope everything else goes off without a hitch for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but due to the great deal of spam I get in the comments, you need to register before you can post a comment. Apologies for the inconvenience.