March 08, 2005

short term workers create long term problems

I have had two events booked for over a month, and suddenly, one guy who was to have worked two events is backing out. grrr...

He got a job at a restaurant, but he said a month ago that there wouldn't be a conflict. Okay, fine. Today he calls and says that he suddenly can't work the days he'd already committed with me. So of course, I'm upset... and more than a little... YES I know that the restaurant is a steadier gig, and YES I know that the work I offer is temporary and occasional, but crap, if you make a promise, keep the promise!

Of course, he played the hand he's holding, which is to say that the promise of regular work at the restaurant means a lot more to him (and his wife) than the 2-3 days per month he'd work for me... and that he doesn't want to jeopardize the relationship with the restaurant by saying he can't work for them on those two days.

...but I bet he didn't even mention his previous commitment with me to his employer, which sucks. I'm sure he'd have tried to get out of it if it were for an audition, but priorities are different for each people.

I just don't know how I can get myself up on the priority list of someone who would only work for me those 2-3 times per month.

Anyway, long story short, I re-staffed the events in about two hours, and I'm pleased with the people who responded. I just don't like having to waste the time re-doing work I thought was done.


Last thing I ate or drank: egg and bacon breakfast burrito with swiss cheese, because that's the kind of cheese that was open.

Technorati Tags: in

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried signing a contract for workers? Or would that not fly?

    Alternatively, you could offer him a bonus for referring someone who did work to replace him -- it would cost a little bit of $$ but even $20-$50 would be a lot and that would be time you didn't have to spend calling workers, and could spend cooking, doing admin, or getting new clients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pay someone a bonus for not working? no, I don't like how that feels.... I'd rather pay someone to be "on call" as a backup. That's a plan I've had on the back-burner (NPI) and it takes a little more work, but it could work out. to answer your first point second, how could you "contract" a part-time, temp, 1099'd person. and what's the use in trying to enforce that contract?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but due to the great deal of spam I get in the comments, you need to register before you can post a comment. Apologies for the inconvenience.